Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Hey there Pop, 


I think I've finally got the menu set for Thanksgiving.  I'll do the turkey (of course), the stuffing, and those braised leeks that everyone likes, and you favorite - the yams with sorghum butter.   Though I can't find sorghum out here.  I'm sure it's not just a California thing, they might have it at Nino's, but I'll just wing it with the molasses.  You will be pleased to note that I am going to forgo the peas with pearl onions this year, mostly because of the leeks - but also because I haven't been able to find a brand I like out here (somehow I doubt I'll be able to fly back with any next time I'm home).

I was going to make a real pie, but I think I'm going to punt and just do the one from the back of the can with a store bought crust.  I know I usually do the one from scratch and the apple, but it seems like so much for just the two of us. Maybe I'll splurge and do the vanilla sauce at least - that makes anything better.

Of course I'm going to do the cheap cranberry jelly - I know you always preferred the sauce, but I just think of that silly can shaped jelly as Thanksgiving.  Though I did hear a recipe for a cranberry sauce that called for horseradish - sounded just up your alley!  I almost called you to tell you about it.  Though it does have sour cream and apparently ends up pepto-bismal pink, so that part didn't sound too appetizing - but I knew that horseradish would get you interested.

Oh and the relish plate.  Scott thinks it's silly to have one just for us, but it's just not Thanksgiving without it - and on one of Grammy's old cut glass plates too.  Really it would be like Easter without the Greek Salad.

We wanted Mom to fly out, but she won't leave the girls.  Sadie's fine, but Sass is failing and so Mom feels like she can't leave them.  I know you guys had some pretty messed up Thanksgivings the last couple of years, so hopefully this one won't feel too different for her.   Well, besides the fact that you're gone.

We're just going to have dinner at home, we were invited down to John and Marcia's but I just don't think I want to go.  I'm not so sure I'm ready for someone else's family, or ours for that matter.  We'll probably toddle down later, since it's John-Jon's birthday - he's finally getting his Wii, so that will be fun to watch.  Maybe if we're there as part of a birthday celebration it won't be so bad.

I still have one more stop at the market - they were out of leeks the other day and I pretty much need those.  Also, if I'm going to do the vanilla sauce I'd better pick up some more cream.  Other than a few supplies to tied us over through the weekend that's all I have to do to be ready for the dinner!

Talk to you later Pop, love you.

1 comments:

Angel MoMo and Charlotte said...

Thankyou for coming over to visit me when I was sick and for all the get-well wishes. I am much better now; just need some turkey to fatten me up. Can you spare me some?

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Purrs,
Momo