Thursday, November 13, 2008

Hey there Pop,

Look at this ship I found today. It was so strange looking that I had to stop to get a better look at it. It's not like anything I've ever seen before, but I knew it was military - it just had that look. When I stopped I saw that it had the name "Freedom" on it, but sort of grayed out - not white. The whole lower part of the ship was sort of a standard gray and the upper parts of the ship were brighter, almost shiny. The top was very angular and it had a huge landing pad on the back - really different than anything I've seen.

I stopped to take a few pictures of it, since it was so strange. As I was getting out of the car and older gentleman pulled up and started talking to me about the ship. He said that it had just showed up yesterday morning, and that he thought it was the new Navy stealth destroyer. Turns out that he was right, I did a little research when I got back to the office and it's the USS Freedom. It was recently commissioned over in Wisconsin - how or why it's here I don't know, but it was cool to find.

The guy also knew about the freighter that I saw the other day. I only took the picture of the freighter because I liked that it was called the "American Integrity" and I saw it on that beautiful day after the election. But then I saw it again today as I was stopped at the Seaway Terminal (you know, where the tall ships were). He told me that it was a 1,000 foot freighter, that they carried coal back and forth to the St. Clair DTE plant and the best part, the guy lived on the St. Clair river and so he always came in close to shore near the terminal to wave to his wife - I thought that was nice.

I still want to find out what that ship is doing here in Port Huron, I'll let you know if I find out more.

Talk to you later Pop, love you.

0 comments: